Saturday, December 20, 2014

2014: My Year In Books

In 2014, I took the Goodreads.com 2014 Reading Challenge, which allows you to challenge yourself by pre-selecting the amount of books you will aim to read that years.

This year, I challenged myself to read 25 books, and I made it by the skin of my teeth. I finished my last book the weekend before Christmas. I always try to read a variety of books, both fiction and non-fiction (mostly biographies), both Adult and Young Adult. I love historical fiction, by I try to make sure that's not the ONLY thing I am reading.

This year I also read 2 Graphic Novels.

I was really excited when one of my favorite authors, Lisa See, came out with her new novel China Dolls, about Asian-American's in the US (especially California) during WWII and the Japanese internment.

Fannie Flagg, another favorite author of mine, released her anticipated novel, The All-Girl Filling Stations's Last Reunion, about a set of sisters, whose family owned a filling station, growing up during WWII and their participation in the war effort.

Here are the books I read during the challenge:




It is hard to pick my favorite book of the year, but my Top 3 are: The Age of Miracles, And the Mountains Echoed and The Fault in Our Stars. Runners up were everything else by Gillian Flynn.

My Top 3 least favorites were: Wallbanger, a very predictable and boring erotica novel, Orange Is the New Black (I LOVED the television show, and it is probably my fault that I expected the book to live up to it), and The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy. I AM SORRY, SCI-FI NERDS! I just did not enjoy this book. It annoyed the hell out of me. 

Have you read any of these books? Which one's were your favorites?


No comments:

Post a Comment